At The Wayfarers we believe exploring a destination on foot brings the traveler closer to the culture and the land than any other way of experiencing a place. Since our very beginning in 1984, celebration of the history and cultures we visit and a understanding of the environmental issues of the lands we are privileged to walk have been the essence of our Walks. None of this is new. We have cared about the people and places we visit ever since our inception 30 years ago and we have remained true to our values.
We follow these core guidelines of responsible travel:
- Protecting the environment - its flora, fauna and landscapes
- Respecting local cultures – traditions, religions and built heritage
- Benefiting local communities – both economically and socially
- Conserving natural resources – from office to destination
- Minimising pollution – through noise, waste disposal and congestion
Some examples of ways in which we fulfil these responsibilities are the following:
- Low-impact visits (walking!) to environmentally important areas accompanied by informal education on the trail, and visits with key regional specialists
- Visits to historic monuments and sites and financial contributions to the charities maintaining these sites
- Demonstrations, where appropriate, of local music, cuisine, cottage industries, agriculture
- Using locally managed or family-run hotels and restaurants where-ever possible and working with other community suppliers so proceeds benefit the area visited
- Social visits with locals
- Promoting responsible tourism by working with like-minded suppliers and publicising aspects of responsible travel that apply to our destinations and trips
The Wayfarers is a member of the following organisations which promote the best practices in responsible travel and the highest standards of service to the traveler:
The Wayfarers is proud to be a member of the Trusted Adventures travel alliance. We are a group of distinguished industry pioneers dedicated to the highest standards in small group adventure travel. Learn more about Trusted Adventures on www.trustedadventures.com.
Adventure Travel Trade Association
The Adventure Travel Trade Association aims to promote and grow the adventure travel market, while providing professional support, development, marketing, and cost-saving resources to The Wayfarers, please see www.adventuretravel.biz for more information.
The International Ecotourism Society
Uniting communities, conservation and sustainable travel. The Wayfarers wholeheartedly support the TIES principles of ecotourism and work with them as they apply them to the destinations we visit. For more information on TIES see www.ecotourism.org