- Unique mix of French and German culture
- Fine Alsatian cuisine and regional specialities
- Fascinating military history from both World Wars
- Wines of the region
- Picturesque villages with half timbered houses and cobbled streets
Alsace offers distinctive cultural, viticultural, and gastronomic experiences developed through centuries of ping-pong domination between France and Germany. Today, the unique historic blend provides the walking visitor with unsurpassed richness and diversity from fairy-tale landscapes including pastel-painted villages, Europe's highest concentration of feudal castles to the distinctive Franco-Germanic cuisine and wines.
We walk along part of the famous Alsace Wine Trail, visit a medieval fortress with spectacular views to the Black Forest in Germany, and trek along forest tracks near Obernai and the Vosges Mountains, wining and dining along the way with the finest produce this fascinating area has to offer.
Sunday Overnight: Hotel A la Cour d‚Alsace
Monday Overnight: Hotel A la Cour d‚Alsace
Tuesday Overnight: Hotel Le Clos Saint Vincent
Wednesday Overnight: Hotel Le Clos Saint Vincent
Thursday Overnight: La Maison des Tetes
Friday Overnight: La Maison des Tetes
(Single Supplement $655.00)
Hotels - Where we stay
A la Cour d Alsace
This former manor house and wine cellar of the distinguished Baron De Gail family has been stylishly renovated to provide a cosy, intimate hotel with courtly character. The hotel is located in the centre of the meticulously restored old town and the historic character of the building, including original wooden-beamed ceilings and refurbished half-timbering, has been painstakingly preserved. Each room features a spacious bathroom, hairdryer, safe, minibar, cable TV and a phone. In the lovely vaulted-ceiling wine cellar of the Gail manor house, the chefs introduce guests to the exquisite (and hearty) Alsatian specialities which make dinner an occasion worth remembering.
Hotel Le Clos Saint Vincent
Perching on high ground with endless views of the Alsace vineyards, this hotel is inextricably linked with the world of wine. The well-furnished rooms at Le Clos Saint-Vincent are equipped with a telephone, hairdryer, flat-screen TV and private bathroom. The restaurant serves traditional French cuisine that varies with the seasons, either in the dining room with views of the countryside or on the terrace that overlooks the Vosges Mountains. Guests have access to Clos Saint-Vincents wellness centre, which has an indoor swimming pool, sauna and Jacuzzi. There is also a fitness centre and massage centre with Spa treatments available on request. Wi-Fi is available in the hotel.
La Maison des Tetes
In the heart of Colmar, this magnificent 17th century house is one of Colmar's most beautiful and emblematic buildings. Classed as an historical monument, it is full of local charm and conveniently located for guests to walk into the town. Each delightful bedroom has air-conditioning, TV, phone, miinibar, safe, WiFi internet access and ensuite bathroom with hairdryer. La Maison des Tetes has been a meeting place for over 100 years and the highly recommended restaurant is renowned for its gourmet food enriched with local flavors.
Start planning your trip
What Is Included in the Price of My Vacation
- Full-time services of two staff - a Walk Leader and Walk Manager
- A backup vehicle for resting walkers and moving luggage
- Comprehensive Travel Information Package and Reading List
- Diverse itineraries with an emphasis on history, geography, culture, peoples, flora and fauna
- Demonstrations, wine tasting, admissions to museums and historic sites
- All ground transfers (ferries, cable cars, trains, etc.)
- Maps and unique souvenirs to commemorate your trip
- First-class accommodations with cultural and historical interest
- All meals - with choices - (Special dietary requirements? No problem!)
- Wine with dinner
- On-trail snacks and refreshments
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants