- Private wine tasting at Domaine Servan in Chablis
- Gentle walks in the rich countryside of Burgundy
- Cycle at leisure along the towpath or beyond
- Luxurious on-board accommodation
- Gourmet meals showcasing regional French cuisine
- Visit a traditional French market
- Buildings steeped in history including the fascinating Abbey de Fontenay and the impressive 16th-century Chateau Ancy le Franc
The luxury barge, La Belle Epoque, is our home for seven days as we glide along the waterways of Burgundy. We cruise the Upper Burgundy Canal in the north of the region, between the two classic French towns of Tanlay and Venaray les Laumes. Tranquility and comfort accompany us on our journey and, every day, we leave our barge to set off on foot to explore Renaissance chateaux, dramatic cliffs, wooded hills, medieval towns, lush valleys and ancient vineyards. Fine French cuisine, prepared on board by our personal chef, is accompanied by different regional wines making this trip a gourmet's delight.
Sunday Overnight: La Belle Epoque
Monday Overnight: La Belle Epoque
Tuesday Overnight: La Belle Epoque
Wednesday Overnight: La Belle Epoque
Thursday Overnight: La Belle Epoque
Friday Overnight: La Belle Epoque
After breakfast, disembark La Belle Epoque and transfer to the designated drop off point.
IMPORTANT NOTE: **This itinerary may operate in reverse according to the barge scheduling and the timing of visits may vary slightly according to river conditions.
(Single Supplement $1,850.00)
Hotels - Where we stay
La Belle Epoque
La Belle Epoque was formerly a traditional working barge which carried logs from Burgundy to Paris but has been skilfully converted into luxury hotel barge, designed with elegance and passenger comfort in mind.
The teak-panelled saloon is carpeted throughout, features Art Nouveau paintings of La Belle Epoque and is home to an antique barograph and gramophone. There is a mahogany dining table seating all passengers and a fully stocked bar with an antique drinks cabinet. The saloon has two built in sofa areas with coffee table, a compact disc player and a selection of CDs. Guests are welcome to bring their favourite CDs from home. There is also a choice of board games, boules, a small library of books and binoculars for watching the bird life and scenery.
ACCOMMODATION ON BOARD
Up to 12 guests in 6 cabins:
2 Junior Suites, one at the bow with a double bed only and one at the stern which can be configured as 2 single beds or a double bed.
Nuits St Georges - Junior Suite (stern) 165ft (15.3m)
Meursault - Junior Suite (bow) 150ft (13.9m)
2 Staterooms which can be configured as 2 single beds or a double bed.
Santenay & Vougeot - Staterooms (Mid stern) 130ft (12m)
2 Staterooms with 2 single beds only.
Chablis & Sancerre - Staterooms (Mid bow) 125ft (11.6m)
All cabins have en-suite bathroom with shower cubicle, tiled floors and walls, wash hand basin and W.C., washing gel, hand soap, shampoo, towels, robes, slippers & hair dryer.
Complimentary Wi-Fi is available on board for guests bringing their own appliances. Please note connectivity is not available in more remote locations on the cruise route.
There are two sundecks with reclining deck chairs, a 6 person spa pool (hot tub) and 12 on-board bicycles.
Start planning your trip
What Is Included in the Price of My Vacation
- Full-time services of a Walk Leader and barge staff
- Backup vehicle for transfers to and from your walks and places of interest
- Comprehensive Travel Information Package and Reading List
- Walking itinerary with an emphasis on history, geography, culture, peoples, flora and fauna
- Visits, wine tasting, admissions to museums and historic sites
- Chauffeured transfer service from and to a designated hotel in central Paris
- Maps and unique souvenirs to commemorate your trip
- First-class accommodation facilities
- All meals - with choices - (Special dietary requirements? No problem!)
- Wines with dinner
- On-board snacks, refreshments and a fully-stocked bar
- All gratuities at restaurants and for tour guides at places of interest