- Castle Combe and Lacock, two of England's loveliest villages
- The stone circles at Avebury, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- The House and Gardens at Bowood House
- A tour of Highclere Castle (TV's Downton Abbey)
- Bampton village, a key location in Downton Abbey
Get to know the lives of lords and servants on this Walk in the heart of the English countryside. The Upstairs / Downstairs theme takes you through some of the Cotswolds' prettiest villages crammed with thatched cottages, and to the stately home and splendid gardens at Bowood House.
To crown it all, we visit Highclere Castle, owned by the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon and the setting for Downton Abbey, as well as Bampton village, one of the main Downton locations. Literary links abound. We visit beautiful Lacock, a village mostly owned by the National Trust and featured in the BBC' s Cranford and Pride and Prejudice, and our route through ancient Savernake Forest takes us close to Wolf Hall, home of Jane Seymour, featured in Hilary Mantel' s eponymous bestselling novel.
Sunday Overnight: The Plough Hotel
Monday Overnight: The Plough Hotel
Tuesday Overnight: The Bell at Ramsbury
Wednesday Overnight: Manor House Hotel
Thursday Overnight: Manor House Hotel
Friday Overnight: Manor House Hotel
(Single Supplement $565.00)
Departure: Chippenham Rail Station
Hotels - Where we stay
The Plough Hotel
The Plough Hotel is a perfect example of a 16th century, stylish yet informal hotel in the Cotswold countryside. The hotel was built with authentic local stone and is located in Clanfield, a quaint Oxfordshire Village with a touch of Cotswold charm. The restaurant and bar serving local ales, offer something for everyone with cozy open fires and a terrace.The hotel has an idyllic charm combined with modern amenities such a WiFi access throughout. Stylish bedrooms are all en-suite with either bath or shower and have hairdryer, TV, tea and coffee making facilities and complimentary bottled water.
The Bell at Ramsbury
The Bell is a 300-year-old former coaching inn in one of Wiltshire's loveliest villages, which has been painstakingly refurbished to create a comfortable and welcoming haven. Each of the nine guest rooms has its own distinct character and is named after a different fish or game bird, reflecting the rural surroundings. The rooms have Hypnos mattresses, bathrobes and slippers, with heated floors and complementary toiletries in the ensuite bathrooms. The rooms have tea and coffee-making facilities, an honesty bar, flat-screen TV and WiFi. The cosy restaurant, under the direction of Head Chef Duncan Jones, believes in serving the best of British seasonal cuisine, locally sourced and organic where possible, much of it from The Bell's own kitchen garden.
Manor House Hotel
Castle Combe village lies in a breathtaking location on the outskirts of Bath. Untouched since the 17th Century, this chocolate box Cotswold village is home to the definitive country retreat, the Manor House Hotel. Beautifully appointed bedrooms offer everything you need for a wonderful and comfortable stay including phone, TV and hairdryer. Each room is individually styled with its own unique features, be it views over the lawns, a walk-in shower or a built-in TV in the bathroom! Wifi is available in all rooms. Having recently received the award for 'Wiltshire Restaurant of the Year', the Michelin Starred Bybrook Restaurant offers exellent dining, carefully combining the finest local ingredients with produce from their very own kitchen garden. Within the surrounding 365 acres of woodland and parkland, there is a championship golf course, fly fishing available on the river or you can play a game of croquet on the lawns.
Start planning your trip
What Is Included in the Price of My Vacation
- Full-time services of two staff - a Walk Leader and Walk Manager
- A backup vehicle for resting walkers and moving luggage
- Comprehensive Travel Information Package and Reading List
- Diverse itineraries with an emphasis on history, geography, culture, peoples, flora and fauna
- Demonstrations, wine tasting, admissions to museums and historic sites
- All ground transfers (ferries, cable cars, trains, etc.)
- Maps and unique souvenirs to commemorate your trip
- First-class accommodations with cultural and historical interest
- All meals - with choices - (Special dietary requirements? No problem!)
- Wine with dinner
- On-trail snacks and refreshments
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants