Islands, sleepy villages and shining seas
- Experience the Mediterranean as it used to be
- Explore the islands of Lopud and Brac
- Stay in the old city of Dubrovnik, a location in 'A Game of Thrones'
- Visit Emperor Diocletian's Palace, an amazing UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Fabulous fresh seafood, cooked in simple, local style
Croatia's beautiful walled city, Dubrovnik, is the starting point for this journey through one of Europe's most diverse and beautiful countries. As we travel northwards, our path takes us through cypress woods, along coastal headlands and rural tracks, into dramatic gorges and along rambling streets. The sparkling sea views and sleepy harbor villages, with their milk-white limestone buildings, are the perfect environment for the steady pace of life and relaxed café culture. It becomes apparent that Croatia is still the authentic and uncommercialized Mediterranean associated with a bygone era. We also gain an insight into the break up of Yugoslavia and spend time in places which were directly affected by the early 1990's war as well as driving through the neighboring coast of Bosnia & Herzegovina.
Highlights of this Walk include a private boat-trip from the foot of Vidova Gora Mountain, which takes us to a secluded terrace restaurant overlooking the sea where we dine on fresh fish caught that morning, and a fascinating walking tour of Diocletian's Palace which houses the most well-preserved Roman buildings in Split and which forms the heart of today's city. The Croatian cuisine focuses on locally caught fish, traditionally produced olive oil and organic vegetables, washed down with homemade brandies and wines. And, as the average height of men from Dalmatia is 6 feet, the food portions tend to match the height!
You will return home having explored the homeland of the neck tie, The 'Cravat', the region where the Dalmatian dog got its identity, the island of the man who made the first working parachute and the country which treasures Europe's second oldest synagogue in Dubrovnik and the third oldest in Split.
(Single Supplement $635.00)
Hotels - Where we stay
Start planning your trip
What Is Included in the Price of My Vacation
- Full-time services of two staff - a Walk Leader and Walk Manager
- A backup vehicle for resting walkers and moving luggage
- Comprehensive Travel Information Package and Reading List
- Diverse itineraries with an emphasis on history, geography, cutlure, peoples, flora and fauna
- Demonstrations, wine tasting, admissions to museums and historic sites
- All ground transfers (ferries, cable cars, trains, etc.)
- Maps and unique souvenirs to commemorate your trip
- First-class accommodations with culural and historical interest
- All meals - with choices - (Special dietary requirements? No problem!)
- Wine with dinner
- On-trail snacks and refreshments
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants