- Discover some of the most beautiful villages in France, including the location where the movie Chocolat was filmed.
- Take tea on the terrace at a private mansion.
- Enjoy tasting the wine-tasting in the cellars of the chateaux producing some of the worlds most famous wines.
- Explore the ruins of the great Benedictine abbey at Cluny, once one of the most important and influential in Europe.
- Visit the magnificent Chateau of Commarin where the current owner, a descendant of the Duke of Burgundy, will greet us.
Discover many of Burgundys remarkable historic sights, abbeys, medieval castles and lovely villages in this region, at the heart of French history since the Middle Ages. Explore the Auxois with its lively medieval towns, the Burgundy canal and chateaux. Get to know Beaune, the 'capital' of the great Burgundy wines and then move on to Romanesque southern Burgundy where the essence and colors of southern France become stronger. Find out why Burgundy is known as the home of gastronomic delights and explore some of the cellars where the delicious and world-renowned wines mature to perfection.
Although rich in history and heritage, this is also a wild, rich and surprising land of forests, lakes and valleys; home of the Charolais cattle and where the granite Morven hills dictate the flow of water through France to the North Sea, the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean. Learn about the art of truffle hunting and enjoy a truffle lunch.
Sunday Overnight: Chateau Sainte Sabine
Monday Overnight: Chateau Sainte Sabine
Tuesday Overnight: Hotel Le Cep
Wednesday Overnight: Hotel Le Cep
Thursday Overnight: Hotel de Greuze
Friday Overnight: Hotel de Greuze
(Single Supplement $595.00)
Departure: Dijon or Montchanin TGV
Hotels - Where we stay
Chateau Sainte Sabine
With its origins in the early 17th century, the Chateau Sainte Sabine is a beautiful building on the site of an ancient monastery, tastefully renovated and converted into a peaceful and welcoming refuge. Facing the medieval village of Chateauneuf en Auxois, one of the Most Beautiful Villages in France, the Chateau enjoys truly magnificent panoramic views. All the bedrooms have satellite television, free high-speed Wi-Fi access, telephone, mini-bar and strongbox. The bathrooms have either a bath or a shower, a hairdryer, and complimentary toiletries. In the light and airy restaurant, Chef Philippe Auge lets market produce take pride of place, on an inventive menu, using the best of local ingredients.
Hotel Le Cep
Affiliated to the Small Luxury Hotels of The World, Le Cep owes its charm to the uniting of two private mansions and their historic 16th century courtyards in the center of Beaune, wine capital of Burgundy. Friendly and welcoming, the hotel comprises several interconnecting buildings and the hotel bar is the ideal place to sample a glass of a regional cru or sit outside and enjoy the sun beside a 150-year-old willow tree. Each room has air-conditioning, double-glazing, safe, free Wi-Fi, minibar, direct telephone, flat-screen TV, web radio, hairdryer, mirror and bathrobes. There is an independently run restaurant adjoining the main lobby that features delicious local cuisine.
Hotel de Greuze
With a view of the magnificent Benedictine Abbey of Tournus, this refined hotel provides elegance, charm, comfort and a warm welcome. The bedrooms are decorated in varying antique styles and each has an ensuite bathroom, minibar, safe, satellite TV and WiFi. Breakfast is served in the salon and drinks can be enjoyed in the bar lounge or on the terrace. The Michelin Star restaurant is located near the hotel and offers the best in Burgundy cuisine.
Start planning your trip
What Is Included in the Price of My Vacation
- Full-time services of two staff - a Walk Leader and Walk Manager
- A backup vehicle for resting walkers and moving luggage
- Comprehensive Travel Information Package and Reading List
- Diverse itineraries with an emphasis on history, geography, culture, peoples, flora and fauna
- Demonstrations, wine tasting, admissions to museums and historic sites
- All ground transfers (ferries, cable cars, trains, etc.)
- Maps and unique souvenirs to commemorate your trip
- First-class accommodations with cultural and historical interest
- All meals - with choices - (Special dietary requirements? No problem!)
- Wine with dinner
- On-trail snacks and refreshments
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants