- Panoramic views of Bavaria and Austria from Germany's highest mountain.
- Visit King Ludwig II's palaces
- Sample Bavaria's legendary beer
- See Oberammergau, home of the Passion Play
- Visit to Benedictine monastery of Ettal
Bavaria, Germany's largest federal-state, covers an area larger than its neighbor, Austria. We explore a small part of this historic region with an itinerary that reflects the wide variety of landscape and culture.
We hear the story, of King Ludwig ll, sometimes known as The Dream King and sometimes as The Mad King. We visit two of the great fairytale palaces that form his legacy, take a private boat on Lake Chiemsee to the colossal palace of Herrenchiemsee and walk to the more modest, but nonetheless opulent, jewel of Linderhof.
We stay in lovely lodgings in contrasting surroundings at the foot of the Bavarian Alps, in a sleepy spa town and on the shore of Lake Chiemsee.
Sunday Overnight: Romantik Hotel Waxenstein
Monday Overnight: Romantik Hotel Waxenstein
Tuesday Overnight: Klosterhotel Ludwig Der Bayer
Wednesday Overnight: Romantik Hotel Lindner
Thursday Overnight: Romantik Hotel Lindner
Friday Overnight: Inselhotel Zur Linde
(Single Supplement $565.00)
Departure: Prien am Chiemsee
Hotels - Where we stay
Romantik Hotel Waxenstein
The hotel has 100 years of history of hospitality from its beginnings as a simple tavern frequented by both smugglers and toll keepers, to the last 30 years when it has been managed by the Toedt family. The hotel is famous for its restaurant which serves fresh and seasonal cuisine and the current owner enjoys sharing his collection of art and sculpture on display in the individual rooms as well as the public areas. All bedrooms have been renovated, individually furnished and include TV, DVD, telephone and hairdryer. Guests have free Wi-Fi access, telephone calls to German landlines and use of the wellness area. The hotel has a full service spa with a wide range of treatments available.
Klosterhotel Ludwig der Bayer
The "Klosterhotel Ludwig der Bayer" and the Ettal Monastery are nestled in the heart of the Ammergau alpine region. It is part of Germanys largest nature-preserve, replete with impressive mountains, picturesque lakes, serene and colorful meadows and fresh, healthy mountain air. This place of stunning natural beauty also a place of custom and tradition, of art, culture and culinary delights that will make our stay an unforgettable experience. Rooms are tastefully and comfortably appointed, with satellite TV, telephone, shower or bathtub, hairdryer and internet access. The hotel has a swimming pool and a full-service beauty and health spa.
Romantik Hotel Lindner
The knights have long since gone...but fortunately the charm of a medieval castle has remained. Located in the heart of this spa town, this former palace has been run as a hotel by the same family for seven generations. It is stylishly furnished, very cosy and each bedroom has a luxurious bathroom, cable TV, internet access, WLAN, telephone, radio and hairdryer. The restaurant serves cuisine with Bavarian roots influenced by light Mediterranean dishes. Vegetarian food options are a speciality as are a profusion of desserts! The ingredients have been carefully selected. They usually come directly from the producer, e.g. lamb from Gut Georgenberg, eco-meat from Herrmannsdorfer, fish from Scharmann's trout ponds and free-range eggs.
Inselhotel Zur Linde
Start planning your trip
What Is Included in the Price of My Vacation
- Full-time services of two staff - a Walk Leader and Walk Manager
- A backup vehicle for resting walkers and moving luggage
- Comprehensive Travel Information Package and Reading List
- Diverse itineraries with an emphasis on history, geography, culture, peoples, flora and fauna
- Demonstrations, wine tasting, admissions to museums and historic sites
- All ground transfers (ferries, cable cars, trains, etc.)
- Maps and unique souvenirs to commemorate your trip
- First-class accommodations with cultural and historical interest
- All meals - with choices - (Special dietary requirements? No problem!)
- Wine with dinner
- On-trail snacks and refreshments
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants