- Follow the ancient Pilgrims Way in Tuscany
- Guided walking tours of historic Lucca and Siena
- Visit wine cellars producing Vernaccia white wine
- Spend two nights in beautiful San Gimignano
- Gain a unique perspective on the real Tuscany
For more than 1,000 years, pilgrims have walked the Via Francigena, once the major pilgrimage route from Northern Europe to the Holy See at Rome. In 990AD, Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury in England, walked to Rome and wrote an account of the Way. We follow Sigeric's route in Italy between the cities of Lucca and Siena.
Sunday Overnight: Hotel Palazzo Alexander
Monday Overnight: Hotel San Miniato
Tuesday Overnight: Hotel Villa Bianca
Wednesday Overnight: Hotel Belsoggiorno
Thursday Overnight: Hotel Belsoggiorno
Friday Overnight: Villa Scaccia Pensieri
(Single Supplement $595.00)
Departure: Siena Rail Station
Hotels - Where we stay
Hotel Palazzo Alexander
Dating from the 12th century, in the heart of the historic center of Lucca, the Palazzo was once a girls boarding school. Closed for many years, it has now been restored to its former splendor as an intimate, elegant and charming boutique hotel perfectly situated within the old city walls. The dcor reflects the noble Lucchese style with antique wooden floors, fine marble in the bathrooms and carefully chosen upholstery and fixtures. All rooms feature a private bathroom, satellite TV, safe, air-conditioning, telephone, refrigerator and free WiFi internet access. Breakfast is served in a beautifully decorated dining area and there is a comfortable bar and lobby.
Hotel San Miniato
The thick stone walls that once housed a convent dating from the 13th century now surround the elegant guest rooms and reception space for the Hotel San Miniato. Sensitive use of the vaulted brick interiors and careful conversion has created a luxurious hotel with sweeping views of the Tuscan countryside from its hilltop vantage point. The rooms, decorated in cool colors, with terracotta floors, feature a minibar, safe, telephone and LCD television. There is free WiFi connection throughout. The hotel has a luxury spa and hydromassage pool and the Locanda San Martino restaurant offers diners Tuscan specialties in the magnificent surroundings of the former chapel.
Hotel Villa Bianca
Set in gracious Italian gardens, the Villa Bianca is a 19th century residence, renovated in 2002 to create an intimate hotel offering hospitality, comfort and elegance. The frescoed rooms feature marble or parquet floors and are equipped with air-conditioning, mini-bar, satellite television, safe, marble bathrooms with shower or bathtub and hairdryer. A sumptuous buffet breakfast is served each morning in the elegant dining room or in the panoramic court which offers enchanting views of the Tuscan hills.
Housed in a 13th century building, in the center of the historic town, the Hotel Belsoggiorno has a terrace with lovely views of the surrounding hills. The charming rooms have ensuite facilities, air conditioning, colour television and telephone. It boasts an excellent restaurant which serves a wide variety of local and international dishes.
Villa Scaccia Pensieri
Villa Scacciapensieri is a 19th century building set in its own large park and gardens, offering old world charm and the chance to relax just outside historic Siena. The rooms have ensuite bathrooms, hairdryer, air-conditioning, satellite television, direct telephone and mini-bar. The restaurant Altri Tempi offers elegant cuisine of regional dishes and home-made pastas and whenever possible guests can take breakfast, lunch or dinner outside on the terrace under the flowering wisteria and linden trees.
Start planning your trip
What Is Included in the Price of My Vacation
- Full-time services of two staff - a Walk Leader and Walk Manager
- A backup vehicle for resting walkers and moving luggage
- Comprehensive Travel Information Package and Reading List
- Diverse itineraries with an emphasis on history, geography, culture, peoples, flora and fauna
- Demonstrations, wine tasting, admissions to museums and historic sites
- All ground transfers (ferries, cable cars, trains, etc.)
- Maps and unique souvenirs to commemorate your trip
- First-class accommodations with cultural and historical interest
- All meals - with choices - (Special dietary requirements? No problem!)
- Wine with dinner
- On-trail snacks and refreshments
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants