- Visit two UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Explore Alberobello, famous for its trulli houses
- Hike in the Regional Park of the Rupestrian Rock Churches
- See the Stone Age cave dwellings of Sassi di Matera
- Lunch with a family of shepherds in their traditional home
Join us on this new Walk in Italys most beautiful and undiscovered southern region, combining fresh air and open skies with history, elegance, fabulous food and delicious wine. We hike quiet trails through olive groves and vineyards and visit two UNESCO World Heritage Sites as well as picturesque seaside towns. See the famous trulli houses and spend two days in the town of Matera, whose inhabitants lived in caves carved out of a limestone promontory cut in two by a spectacular ravine. Of course it wouldn't be Italy without good food and wine and Puglia is home to some of Italys most interesting cuisine, from fresh seafood to an opulent array of antipasti.
Sunday Overnight: Hotel Patria Palace
Monday Overnight: Hotel Patria Palace
Tuesday Overnight: Hotel Il Palmento
Wednesday Overnight: Hotel Il Palmento
Thursday Overnight: Hotel Sextantio
Friday Overnight: Hotel Sextantio
8-12 miles walking per day.
(Single Supplement $595.00)
Departure: Bari Airport
Hotels - Where we stay
Hotel Patria Palace
The Patria Palace brings back to life an 18th century aristocratic mansion, the D'Anna-Petrarolo Palace. Sumptuously refurbished by artists and craftsmen, the palace has been embellished with frescoes and Art Deco frills. The bedrooms, each with its own decor, are all personalized with frescoes painted by John Duggan. They are finely furnished and equipped with all services, comforts and modern technology. The bathrooms are built with precious marble. The Atenze restaurant offers fine dining with selected dishes from traditional Apulian, Mediterranean and Italian cuisines.
Hotel Il Palmento
The Hotel Il Palmento offers the chance to stay in an old trullo, tastefully and imaginatively converted to provide luxury accommodation with ensuite facilities, telephone, satellite television, hairdryer, safe, mini-bar. The Palmento was part of an old enclosed village and its history as a group of buildings used to make wine is reflected in the titles of the charming suites, each named after a grape variety. The comfortable restaurant offers the delicious local specialties of Apulian cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere. Outside beautiful gardens surround the hotel.
Le Grotte della Civita is in the oldest part of the Sassi (the stone settlement), facing the spectacular Murgia park and its rock-hewn churches. Candlelit rooms with stand-alone bathtubs and a restaurant in a 13th-century church make up this extraordinary and romantic albergo diffuso cave hotel. Each of the 18 rooms is unique, converted from a cave in this cluster of prehistoric dwellings. Each room is different and lit candles bathe the stone with a golden glow (although there are discreet lamps too). Simplicity is the key, but there are power showers, luxury bathtubs, underfloor heating, hair dryers and free WiFi. Hotel breakfasts feature delicious home-baked cakes, handmade jams and herb-dusted cheeses and The Tasting Room, set in the ancient church hewn into the rock, is the place to eat by candlelight, enjoying local ingredients prepared using traditional methods.
Start planning your trip
What Is Included in the Price of My Vacation
- Full-time services of two staff - a Walk Leader and Walk Manager
- A backup vehicle for resting walkers and moving luggage
- Comprehensive Travel Information Package and Reading List
- Diverse itineraries with an emphasis on history, geography, culture, peoples, flora and fauna
- Demonstrations, wine tasting, admissions to museums and historic sites
- All ground transfers (ferries, cable cars, trains, etc.)
- Maps and unique souvenirs to commemorate your trip
- First-class accommodations with cultural and historical interest
- All meals - with choices - (Special dietary requirements? No problem!)
- Wine with dinner
- On-trail snacks and refreshments
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants