- Stunning coastlines, incredible mountains and lush rainforest
- Travel through landscapes used in The Lord of the Rings, Narnia and Top of the Lake
- Warm welcome and the freshest seafood
- Arthur's Pass National Park and the Southern Alps
- Walking to the face of two glaciers: Franz Josef and Fox
The stunning scenery of New Zealand's South Island is the backdrop for this Walk through the landscape that inspired Peter Jackson's film trilogy The Lord of the Rings.
We start in the Queen Charlotte Sounds and retrace the steps of Captain Cook who landed here in 1770. The Queen Charlotte Walkway provides a spectacular highlight with panoramic views, diverse landscapes and peaceful tranquillity.
Traveling south to Kaikoura, we stop at Blenheim to explore the Wither Hills Track which leads up to panoramic views overlooking Blenheim's rolling hills and the ocean. After our walk, we visit the Raupo Cafe in Blenheim for light refreshments before heading south once more towards Kaikoura. We witness basking seals along the dramatic coastline and pause for lunch at the famous Kekerengu Store, where the spectacular ocean views are breath-taking. At Kaikoura, we stay overnight and sample fresh seafood from this quaint seaside town.
We move to the West Coast where lush rainforests and river tracks wind through primeval landscapes. The Porari River walk takes us into the heart of a natural gorge with vast rock walls and magical pancake rock formations at Punakaiki. The majesty and beauty of Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers mark the end of our stay on this coast.
Our journey continues to Wanaka for tranquil lakeside walks and a hike to the summit of Mount Iron for unsurpassed views of Mount Aspiring National Park. In picturesque Arrowtown, an old gold-mining town, we walk along a shady river track which meanders through the township.
Traveling south to the dramatic landscape of Queenstown, we explore the Sunshine Valley walk which follows Lake Wakatipu's shore. Our final destination is the wonderful native beech forest walk called the Routeburn Track. We sample a section of this track in pristine surroundings with mountain waterfalls, babbling rivers and awe-inspiring ranges. We end our adventure near Queenstown, enjoying the pure air and stunning mountain ranges
(Single Supplement $1,250.00)
Departure: Queenstown Airport
Hotels - Where we stay
Start planning your trip
What Is Included in the Price of My Vacation
- Full-time services of two staff - a Walk Leader and Walk Manager
- A backup vehicle for resting walkers and moving luggage
- Comprehensive Travel Information Package and Reading List
- Diverse itineraries with an emphasis on history, geography, culture, peoples, flora and fauna
- Demonstrations, wine tasting, admissions to museums and historic sites
- All ground transfers (ferries, cable cars, trains, etc.)
- Maps and unique souvenirs to commemorate your trip
- First-class accommodations with cultural and historical interest
- Meals as indicated - with choices - (Special dietary requirements? No problem!)
- Two Dinners are NOT included on your Walk to allow for individual freedom and experiencing the local atmosphere and cuisine.
There will be a list of recommendations given for these two evenings on your own.
- Wine with dinner
- On-trail snacks and refreshments
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants