- Walk amid amazing wildflower meadows
- Visit the cave dwellings of Ancient Pueblo Indians
- High, rugged mountain peaks with spectacular views
- Tour historic gold and silver mining towns
- Soak in natural hot springs
Incredible views and paths through tapestries of wildflowers make our trip to southern Colorado a very special and adventurous Walk for those who adore untamed Nature.
We explore historic mining towns where gold and silver prospectors hoped to make their fortune, hike amid the cliff dwellings of the ancestors of the ancient Pueblo Indians in Mesa Verde National Park and discover amazing mountain scenery on the Continental Divide.
We pass quivering aspens near dramatic volcanic cliffs on the edge of the Weminuche Wilderness. We may see elk, goshawks, Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, bluebirds and eagles. At the end of a rewarding day's walking, we can luxuriate in natural hot springs at our comfortable hotel.
Sunday Overnight: The Leland House and Rochester Hotel
Monday Overnight: The Leland House and Rochester Hotel
Tuesday Overnight: The Wyman Hotel and Inn
Wednesday Overnight: The Wyman Hotel and Inn
Thursday Overnight: The Springs Resort and Spa
Friday Overnight: The Springs Resort and Spa
(Single Supplement $755.00)
Hotels - Where we stay
The Leland House and Rochester Hotel
The Leland House is a small, family-owned hotel, renovated by a mother-and-son team and located in the heart of downtown Durango. It provides an historic lodging in the spirit of the old West. It is also a 'green' hotel and offers various earth-friendly amenities. The rooms are styled with Western character and charm. Each room is named after an historic Durango figure and the interior decor is accented with local memorabilia, biographies, and photos of these important figures. In-room amenities include Wi-Fi internet access, air conditioning and cable TV.
The Wyman Hotel and Inn
The Wyman Hotel & Inn is an historic luxury hotel. The hotel features an authentic Victorian style, yet, has the modern amenities you would expect in a luxury Inn. A newly opened art gallery on the first floor offers art exhibits, featuring local and regional artists. The Wyman is the recipient of national awards for Best Chef as well as Best Breakfast. Bedrooms have floor to ceiling arched windows with spectacular views of the mountains and every room is individually decorated with museum quality antiques. They offer feather beds, goose down pillows and duvets, private bathrooms, ceiling fan, telephone, TV/VCR and WiFi internet access.
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort & Spa offers its guests the opportunity to experience a wide variety of naturally heated, therapeutic mineral pools on the banks of the San Juan River. The current hotel was built within strict environmentally-friendly guidelines and construction focussed on the use of natural materials. All bedrooms feature ensuite bathroom, alarm clock, balcony/deck, hair dryer, mini bar and safe. The resort was featured on Oprah's show in 2006. The Springs offers 23 hot pools with temperatures from 87-114 F and varying mineral content, a freshwater Jacuzzi and 18 soaking pools. Swimwear is mandatory in all resort pools.
Start planning your trip
What Is Included in the Price of My Vacation
- Full-time services of two staff - a Walk Leader and Walk Manager
- A backup vehicle for resting walkers and moving luggage
- Comprehensive Travel Information Package and Reading List
- Diverse itineraries with an emphasis on history, geography, culture, peoples, flora and fauna
- Demonstrations, wine tasting, admissions to museums and historic sites
- All ground transfers (ferries, cable cars, trains, etc.)
- Maps and unique souvenirs to commemorate your trip
- First-class accommodations with cultural and historical interest
- All meals - with choices - (Special dietary requirements? No problem!)
- Wine with dinner
- On-trail snacks and refreshments
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants