- Classic Cornish creeks, coasts and cliffs
- Visit world famous Trebah Gardens
- Visit The Lost Gardens of Heligan
- See settings for Daphne DuMauriers Rebecca and Frenchmans Creek
- Traditional Cornish Cream Tea
- Exotic plants and sunny beaches contrast with craggy coves and stormy seas in the Celtic county of Cornwall, home to some of Britain's most atmospheric landscapes.
With the crashing waves of the Cornish coast never far from sight, we follow in the footsteps of novelist Daphne du Maurier on the South West Coast Path, visiting ancient fishing villages, secluded beaches and sub-tropical gardens. We explore storm-weathered castles, eat in traditional thatched pubs and sail across peaceful estuaries.
One of the Walk's highlights is a trip to the mysterious Lost Gardens of Heligan, a once-neglected Victorian estate, now fully restored to its former glory. Another is the estuarial ravine garden of Trebah from where the US troops embarked for Omaha beach in the D-Day landings of 1944.
Sunday Overnight: Talland Bay Hotel
Monday Overnight: Talland Bay Hotel
Our morning walk takes us along the coastal footpath with sensational views over the romantic Lantic Bay to Polruan. We then take the ferry to lunch in a local pub in Fowey (pronounced Foy) and we have time to wander around this picturesque town before crossing the river to Bodinnick.
After passing by Ferryside, Daphne du Maurier's first Cornish home, we take the beautiful Hall Walk which meanders through woodland and along the banks of the river with some of the best views in this area.
Tuesday Overnight: Hotel Tresanton
Wedsnesday Overnight: Hotel Tresanton
Thursday Overnight: Budock Vean Hotel
Friday Overnight: Budock Vean Hotel
We cross the river by ferry to the tiny village of Helford then walk the coastal path to the mouth of the estuary at Dennis Head.
We see the church of St Anthony-in-Meneage, standing at the water's edge, and follow the creek to the exquisite village of Manaccan for lunch in a thatched pub. We go on to Daphne du Maurier's 'Frenchman's Creek' and home by ferry to Mawnan Smith for our Farewell Dinner.
(Single Supplement $565.00)
Departure: Truro Rail Station
Hotels - Where we stay
Talland Bay Hotel
Explore the coastal path just minutes from our seaview hotel, with its scenic walks to Looe and Polperro, or just relax in the wonderful gardens and enjoy fabulous food on the terrace overlooking the bay.
The accommodation here is generously proportioned, each room is unique, Impeccably presented, ensuite bathrooms include, White Company toiletries and thick cosy bathrobes. The rooms have TV, Safety Deposit Box, Hairdryer, Trouser Press, Tea & Coffee facilities, Phone, Radio, Laundry & Room Services.
The Terrace Restaurant is a unique dining venue. Ingredients are carefully chosen: the freshest seafood landed at Looe, excellent quality meat from nearby farms and seasonal local vegetables.
Originally created in the 1940s as a yachtsman's club, Tresanton is a cluster of old houses set on different levels. Completely restored and redesigned in 1997, the hotel has a casual but elegant atmosphere, very much in keeping with its seaside location. It even boasts its own cinema!
All bedrooms are ensuite with magnificent sea views and are individually furnished with antiques and Cornish art. The restaurant, with a mosaic floor and terraces overlooking the sea, has a calm, cool Mediterranean feel. It specialises in the local fish, organic vegetables and excellent meat from a local Cornish butcher.
Budock Vean Hotel
Budock Vean is a privately owned, friendly hotel nestling in 65 acres of award-winning gardens and parkland on the banks of the tranquil Helford River. Its extensive leisure facilities include a health Spa and indoor heated pool, tennis court, golf course, snooker room and private foreshore with peaceful sunlounge.
All bedrooms have private toilet, bath and shower en suite, direct dial telephone, hair dryer, tea & coffee making facilities and TV plus views over the golf course & gardens. Guests can enjoy a walk from the hotel through the valley garden with rare tree ferns, past ponds and waterfalls to the foreshore. Internet access is available in two of the lounges but not in guest bedrooms.
Start planning your trip
What Is Included in the Price of My Vacation
- Full-time services of two staff - a Walk Leader and Walk Manager
- backup vehicle for resting walkers and moving luggage
- Comprehensive Travel Information Package and Reading List
- Diverse itineraries with an emphasis on history, geography, cutlure, peoples, flora and fauna
- Demonstrations, wine tasting, admissions to museums and historic sites
- All ground transfers (ferries, cable cars, trains, etc.)
- Maps and unique souvenirs to commemorate your trip
- First-class accommodations with culural and historical interest
- All meals - with choices - (Special dietary requirements? No problem!)
- Wine with dinner
- On-trail snacks and refreshments
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants