- Open landscape of green and rolling dales
- Traditional pub lunch in James Herriot's 'Darrowby'
- Private tour of Castle Bolton where Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned
- Tour of Parcevall Hall Gardens
- See racehorses training on the moor
We walk in a land that time has passed by - the intricate network of drystone walls that create a patchwork of enclosures across the valleys and stone field barns in old-fashioned hay meadows.
We visit Castle Bolton, once home to Mary Queen of Scots. We admire some of England's best racehorses in training and taste the famous Wensleydale cheese fresh from the parlour. We lunch in James Herriot's favourite pub.
We walk in the footsteps of the Knights Templar in Wensleydale, of the Augustinian monks of Bolton Abbey and of the "Calendar Girls" in Wharfedale
Sunday Overnight: Devonshire Fell Hotel
Monday Overnight: Devonshire Fell Hotel
Tuesday Overnight: Wensleydale Heifer
Wednesday Overnight: Wensleydale Heifer
Thursday Overnight: Simonstone Hall
Friday Overnight: Simonstone Hall
(Single Supplement $565.00)
Departure: Darlington Rail Station
Hotels - Where we stay
Devonshire Fell Hotel
A combination of delicious local food, great wine and supremely comfortable bedrooms makes The Devonshire Fell the perfect starting point for our Walk. Hotel guests have complimentary use of The Devonshire Health Spa just a short drive away at Bolton Abbey. The striking internal decor, with the use of rich fabrics and bold bright colours, is in complete contrast to the traditional Edwardian exterior. Bedroom facilities include TV, DVD player, phone and hairdryer. Wi-fi internet access is available in every bedroom and there is a computer for guests to use on the ground floor. The 2 AA rosette restaurant serves food that is delicious, tasty and tempting - using good quality local produce with the best of the different seasons' harvest.
Situated in one of the most beautiful areas of the country, between Leyburn and Hawes, in the stunning Yorkshire Dales National Park, The Wensleydale Heifer's main objective is offering each guest comfort and good food. Each bedroom has its own unique character and facilities and offers en suite facilities, Egyptian linen sheets, Molton Brown toiletries, tea/coffee making facilities, TV, DVD player, phone, hairdryer and fresh fruit. Wi-fi internet access is available for guests in the common areas. The restaurant is renowned for its fine quality food and the philosophy in the kitchen is 'Keep it Simple', buy the best quality ingredients, cook them well and let the natural flavours speak for themselves. The hotel has a Whisky Club Lounge where guests can select from the hotel's hand-picked malt whiskies!
Simonstone Hall is the ultimate tranquil retreat. It is a privately owned, magnificent country house standing in its own grounds and it has been carefully restored, preserving the character of the beautiful old building. Relaxing lounges provide the perfect haven to unwind and there are spectacular views from both the Brasserie and Fell restaurants which serve a mixture of traditional and contemporary cuisine using locally sourced products. The menus change regularly to reflect the seasonal availability of local produce. The hotel respectfully asks guests to adhere to their dress code which is smart casual (no t-shirts, jeans or trainers please) for dinner in the restaurant. The bedrooms are generous in size and beautifully furnished with refined period furniture, rich fabrics and Egyptian cotton sheets. All offer tea/coffee-making facilities, hairdryer, TV, phone and Wi-Fi internet access.
Start planning your trip
What Is Included in the Price of My Vacation
- Full-time services of two staff - a Walk Leader and Walk Manager
- A backup vehicle for resting walkers and moving luggage
- Comprehensive Travel Information Package and Reading List
- Diverse itineraries with an emphasis on history, geography, culture, peoples, flora and fauna
- Demonstrations, wine tasting, admissions to museums and historic sites
- All ground transfers (ferries, cable cars, trains, etc.)
- Maps and unique souvenirs to commemorate your trip
- First-class accommodations with cultural and historical interest
- All meals - with choices - (Special dietary requirements? No problem!)
- Wine with dinner
- On-trail snacks and refreshments
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants